Wednesday, March 23, 2011

#216, #217, #300, #338, #371: Mondegreens Part 1

From Wikipedia: "A mondegreen is the mishearing or misinterpretation of a phrase as a result near homophony, in a way that gives it a new meaning. It most commonly is applied to a line in a poem or a lyric in a song. American writer Sylvia Wright coined the term in her essay 'The Death of Lady Mondegreen,' published in Harper's Magazine in November 1954."

Here are some of our all-time favorite mondegreens along with the names and affiliations of the people in our lives who misheard them:

#216: 'Undone-The Sweater Song' by Weezer
Misheard lyric (Erin): "...soon you'll see my titties"
Actual lyric: "...in your Superman skivvies"
(see Erin's intro for the video--no need to post it again)

#217: 'Lucas with the Lid Off' by Lucas
Misheard lyric (Erin): "a real sucker"
Actual lyric: "I feel so good"




#300: 'Orange Crush' by REM
Misheard lyric (Erin): "I've got my spider, got my orange Crush"
Actual lyric: "I've got my spine, I've got my orange Crush"




#338: 'Landslide' covered by Smashing Pumpkins
Misheard lyric (both of us): "I'm getting old, ACHOO!"
Actual lyric: "I'm getting older too"




#371: 'Heart-Shaped Box' by Nirvana
Misheard lyric (Beth's brother Kenny): "Hey! Ray! I got a singin-o-may"
Actual lyric: "Hey! Wait! I got a new complaint"

3 comments:

  1. apparently i have a hearing problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm kind of copping out by doing list-type entries, but I've got enough material for 3 more mondegreen installations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant wait to read something you WRITE!!!

    ReplyDelete